As we head into the Winter months it seems that immune boosting is on everyone’s mind, especially if you have a few kids because when one gets it, the whole house can tend to get it. This can result in weeks of sickness!
So what can you do to naturally help your family? I’m going to share with you my 5 favourite & inexpensive (many free!) tips to help give your family the boost it needs to survive Winter.
However, before we begin, It’s important for you to understand one SIGNIFICANT factor about the body’s physical make up.
When it comes to the body…. The Nervous System is ‘Head Honcho’… the immune system is secondary to it. Meaning, your body is Hard-wired to ensure it is safe from danger (even perceived danger i.e. anxieties such as going to school, bed or whatever stresses you or the child), before it cares about whether you get a cold or flu.
So with this in mind my number 1 tip to boost your immune system is to
- Calm down Easier said than done right? And especially if you’re talking about your child. Introducing some kind of Meditation or Breathwork as a daily FAMILY practise can do wonders for all of you. The keys are, it needs to be regular, enticing & every needs to do it. Check out Insight Timer – my favourite FREE app that has hundreds of guided meditations for all different things, times and styles. there are some fun ones on there- doesn’t have to be sitting in stillness.
- Sunlight stimulates Serotonin (mood boosting hormone) which helps us feel calm & focused. And as we learnt above calm = increased Immune ability. It can also help with the bodies circadian rhythm which can result in better sleep too. So with this in mind my number 2 tip to boost your immune system is to Get some sun on your skin each day. Every living thing needs sunshine to grow. And grow can also mean produce new cells. Morning Sun is ideal because the UV impact is low, so its safe. So instead of jumping in front of the TV, perhaps every heads outside for a few minutes.
- Eat your oranges well not just oranges, but follow nature for what’s seasonal right now. We can’t outsmart nature, it produces what we need, when we need it. So eat the fruit and Veg that is in season now. Bonus- these foods are usually cheaper as they are easy to grow right now. Oranges are abundant in Winter because they provide lots of Vit C which is … you guessed it… an immune booster! (Carrots, Brussel sprouts, potatoes, onion, sweet potato, kale, mandarins, dates and many more)
- Water, water, water… we naturally are not as thirsty in Winter because it’s cold. However water is still essential as it flushes toxins from the body (for one of many benefits). So filling up the kids water bottles and checking them as the day goes on is a great way to monitor how much they are having. Finding it hard, what about a warm cup of water with some lemon in it at meal times. Or fill a jug with pieces of orange or make ice cubes with fruit frozen in- bonus that it looks more enticing! Try to be creative.
- Spice it up…. Spices are an amazing way to boost your immune AND add flavour to meals. So think- Garlic (discussed last in last week’s Instagram post), Tumeric (it’s about $2 in Coles, adds a yellow colour to food, doesn’t have a strong taste but is an AMAZIG anti-oxidant which helps reduce inflammation in the body), Ginger, Cinnamon, clove, liquorice and lots more)
So these are my favourite 5 Simple & inexpensive Immune Boosting tips for Winter.
Here are 2 bonus tips that will cost you more;
6. See a Naturopath & get some strong liquid herbs, & possibly where suitable – fish oil, a multi vitamin, a probiotic, and maybe some Vit C.
7. Essential Oils- Burning some oils around the house such as Tea Tree, Clove, Eucalyptus can aid in keeping the air fresh & as they have anti-bacterial properties can help kill bugs. You could also use oils such as Lavender or Ylang Yang for evening time (or meditation time) to help calm the body & house in preparation for bed.
If you have some of your favourite tips that I haven’t mentioned, please share below for others to see.